Almost everyone will experience back or neck pain at one point during their lives. Dr. Lipman provides relief for back pain from Physical Evidence Chiropractic in Boca Raton, Florida.
Back & Neck Pain Q & A
by David Lipman, DC
What causes neck pain?
Many people suffer from neck pain. It can occur for many reasons including poor posture, either from sitting at a desk or hunching of over a workstation, cell phone, or tablet, or injuries from car accidents, sports, or even slipping and falling. Conditions or issues that may contribute to pain in the neck include:
- Poor posture
- Muscle strain
- Degenerative Diseases
- Abnormalities in the bone or joints
If your neck pain is accompanied by numbness or loss of strength in your arms or hands, or if you have shooting pain into your shoulder or down your arm, seek diagnoses of the cause and treatment as soon as possible.
What causes back pain?
Back pain is a symptom of a medical condition. Some of the medical concerns that can cause back pain include the following:
- Mechanical issues: Mechanical issues have to do with the movement of the spine. Degenerated discs, herniated discs, wearing of facet joints and muscular issues like spasms and tension are mechanical issues.
- Injuries: Sprains and fractures in the back are the most common injuries to result in back pain.
- Acquired conditions or diseases: Back pain can be caused by medical conditions such as scoliosis, various forms of arthritis, spinal stenosis. Osteoporosis, pregnancy, kidney stones and endometriosis are not conditions that affect the back directly, but cause related back pain.
- Infections and tumors: While not common, an infection or tumor could put pressure on the spine, resulting in pain.
- Stress: Stress can lead to tension and tightening of muscles, which can cause pain. Also, untreated depression, anxiety, and insomnia can all contribute to back pain.
How can chiropractic treatment help back and neck pain?
Chiropractic treatments including manipulations and massage can help to stimulate healing and help to strengthen the muscles of the back to prevent the injury from reoccurring the future. Treatment of back or neck pain will begin with an evaluation to pinpoint the condition that is causing the pain. The cause of the pain will be treated as well as the symptoms to provide immediate relief as well as alleviating the cause. This approach is intended to reduce the pain to restore movement and quality of life and also to keep it from returning. Depending on the specific ailment, treatment can range anywhere from medications such as anti-inflammatory painkillers to ice and cold packs. Chiropractors can help to reduce the pain, strengthen the body and educate patients on how to protect themselves from the injury recurring or overcompensating with other parts of their body and increasing the risk of injury in another body part. The chiropractor will use a combination of treatments including spinal adjustments and massage to relieve pain and realign the spine.