When shoulder pain becomes too much to bear, Dr. Lipman can provide relief with chiropractic treatment from the Physical Evidence Chiropractic office located in Boca Raton, Florida.
Shoulder Pain Q & A
by David Lipman, DC
What Causes Shoulder Pain?
The shoulder is a ball-and-socket joint and the range of movement is quite large. Joints which are used frequently and for a wide range of motions are more susceptible to injury. Shoulder pain can be caused by one or more of the following items:
- Unstable shoulder joint
- Frozen shoulder
- Strains from overexertion
- Fractures to the collar or upper arm bones
- Pinched nerves, also called radiculopathy
When Do You Need to Call Your Chiropractor About Your Shoulder Pain?
Seek chiropractic help before treating your shoulder pain yourself. A misdiagnosis could lead to more aggressive problems down the road. The sooner you get appropriate care and treatment, the quicker the pain will go and the less likely you are to get a recurrent and chronic problem. Signs that you should seek treatment include:
- Unable to raise the arm
- Unable to carry objects or use the arm
- Injury that causes deformity of the joint
- Shoulder pain that lasts longer a few days
- Shoulder pain that occurs at night or while resting
- Swelling or significant bruising around the joint or arm
- Signs of an infection, including fever, redness, warmth or swelling
- Recurring shoulder pain, even if it has a history of settling on its own
What Treatments Are Used?
Dr. Lipman will perform an initial assessment of the pain to identify the cause. The most common method used to treat should pain is called an adjustment to the neck or back, this is also called a manipulation. This procedure uses precise motions and pressure on the joints of the spine and can release pressure on nerves causing pain to radiate to the shoulder. This can increase the movement of the adjoining muscles, and most patients report improved mobility in the neck, reduction of soreness and pain, and stiffness. The chiropractor will create a treatment program which may also combine massage, mobilization, and rehabilitative exercises with regular adjustments. If you are suffering from shoulder pain, contact Dr. Lipman. The doctor will work with you and your body to create a unique care plan and help you to get back to your daily routines and activities without discomfort.